Friday, March 25, 2011

Jeri And Howard Meet The Coach

"Jeri and I have known Coach since he walked on behind us in Victoria , 2003.  If we believe in free will then we remember his towering shot over our heads on the first hole.  We had noticed and passed remarks in the parking lot at the club.  I appealed to "god" and he thought I was a priest.


In spite of my initial dislike for his unsolicited advice, in the space of three holes he had not only won me over but in effect became my coach, which he still remains seven years later. He has inspired in us a deeper understanding and love for golf.  But more than that, I believe that friends are seeking friends and that different cultures and backgrounds have much in common.  To me he is my best friend and I feel honored by his friendship.


I encouraged him to use his "think Birdie" calling cards and become more “techie” by becoming a cell-phone user as opposed to sending smoke signals...lol!  We had the pleasure of one annual dinner honoring him and found that all attendees are devotees of Coach and golf, in equal amounts.  No one is more dedicated to his students or to this great game.


We have had the great honor of hosting Coach on our yachts:
Chutzpah (in Sydney ), as our very first boat guest, cruising to Galliano and Pender Islands , 2003.  He quickly learned what “Chutzpah” meant and always attempts to pronounce it properlyJ;
Sea Bear (in Esquimalt Harbor ), in 2004.
 
Then Coach visited us in our home for 10 days, Ventura , CA , 2000.  There I introduced him to surf survival and swimming in the great Pacific Ocean .  Here, religiously every morning at 6:30, he was out on the largest sand trap known to man, i.e. “the beach”, practicing bunker shots and converting early-morning beach walkers to golf.
 
Coach, we love you and look forward to every phone call and too-infrequent reunions!
Hugs,
Howard and Jeri"

No comments:

Post a Comment